Job: Collections Specialist
Location: Columbia, SC
Provenance Recruitment & Staffing is currently recruiting for a Collections Specialist in the Columbia area.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
To preserve the credit union’s assets by controlling delinquent loan accounts, collecting delinquent loan payments and/or recovering collateral.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBLITIES:
- 60% Contacts delinquent accounts by phone and mail; takes appropriate action to bring current.
- 15% Analyzes financial situation of delinquent borrowers; makes recommendations to repossess collateral when other arrangements to bring the loan current are unsuccessful.
- 10% Maintains accurate files and reports on all collections activity.
- 5% Testifies at legal proceedings as required.
- 5% Informs management of trends in loan underwriting contributing to delinquent/charged-off loans.
- 5% Performs other job related duties as assigned.
1. To ensure timely contact of members with delinquent loans to inquire about re-payment intent. Initiate calls to members on the generation of the past due accounts.
2. To maintain accurate and complete records of all collection and recovery activity.
3. To adhere to provisions as set forth in the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and insure collection activity is always within credit union policy and all relevant regulations.
4. To enter a concise, professional memo in the appropriate collections system of each contact or contact attempt.
5. To provide informed, professional assistance and support to all members and associates, to troubleshoot and resolve inquiries in a timely, friendly and accurate manner.
6. To strive to maintain less than .25% of 30 day delinquencies to reach 60 day delinquency at the end of the month.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- · Experience Three years to five years of similar or related experience.
- · High School Diploma or GED
INTERPERSONAL SKILLS and REQUIRED ATTRIBUTES
- A significant level of trust and diplomacy is required, in addition to normal courtesy and tact. Work involves extensive personal contact with others and/or is usually of a personal or sensitive nature. Work may involve motivating or influencing others. Outside contacts become important and fostering sound relationships with other entities (companies and/or individuals) becomes necessary.
- Other Skills Physical Requirements Ability to lift up to 20 pounds.